Saturday, September 22, 2012

Out with a...

It's Saturday and I just completed my very last morning as a volunteer for Emerging Voices. After working 18 hours a week as a food server in a homeless kitchen it feels good to be finished despite the fact that the people were great and the patrons were generally nice. Salazar, Juan, Che Chee, and Cesar will never be forgotten.

Today was a mess and I feel cynical to be happy about not coming back to a certain extent. We were short staffed and the only people who were capable of distributing food were Lupe, Erika, and myself. After serving 94 plates people in the room began losing their patience and soon we were rushed by homeless who wanted their proper serving of juice. Normally we walk around each table of patrons and distribute food then a cup of juice. Today was a different vibe and people were trying their hardest to skip their neighbors. The atmosphere went from calm to unsettled once the first juice cups came out. It was chaos and soon Lupe and myself decided to stop serving all together and let them wade in their own madness. We turned people away because the food had run out and a sea of hands grabbed for juice like a multiple armed monster. It was an awakening yet good way to end this volunteer stint.

On a lighter note this is my last weekend in Bogota and a group of us are planning on going dancing at Andres located in the Zona Rosa which is a major street for clubbing. The previous two nights included getting a couple beers with some friends I met in Cartagena and also meeting some other locals who grew up with my friend Laura who is now in California. The volunteers here are great people and it was an honor to serve next to them. I would highly recommend coming to Bogota to volunteer because the country is beautiful and easily one of the most misunderstood places in the world. It will be hard to top the experience that I have had here but am very much excited for Ecuador. I will give details later but people are leaving for pizza and papa needs to get his fixings. Peace and love...and pizza.



No comments:

Post a Comment