Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A Tale of Two Cities

Today is Tuesday and I have just finished my second day as a volunteer for Emerging Voices in Bogota. The mission of my volunteer coordinator Monica is to expose each new recruit to every project that the organization supports. There are now a total of six new volunteers, five being American and one being from China. Yesterday we took a metro bus to an orphanage called Hogar and today we took a more hectic transit bus to Soacha, one of the poorest districts in the city. While in Soacha we visited an elementary school, introduced ourselves to each class, then assisted professors during English study sessions.

These past few days have been extremely eye opening. Having grown up with the security of a solid education and a family foundation it was interesting to work within a completely opposite environment. The orphanage consists of a series of very pretty buildings, large playground fields, and a lot of great attitudes. At Hogar we played games with some of the kids then helped with landscaping duty within the property. Everyone is very nice and the attitudes towards life I brighter than any place I have ever been. The people who work there are very inspiring and the kids were so welcoming despite the fact that we were all new acquaintances. I hope to go back there soon to help out in any way possible.

Soacha is about a two hour bus ride through the heart of Bogota. The streets at this point are riddled with pot holes, garbage is scattered throughout each alley,stray dogs follow you in hopes of temporary companionship, and vehicles sputter through corners with complete disregard to pedestrians. The scene feels more like a burrow within a battle scarred country even though Bogota is one of the most modern cities in South America. The students at the school are sweethearts and have a strong desire to understand English. There was very little structure while we toured the campus because at the end of the day each volunteer took command of around twenty students of all ages to help them practice their English. At one point a lady with very little knowledge of my language grabbed me by the arm and led me into a room and yelled to its inhabitants "Teacher Teacher!" With absolutely no lesson plan and a bunch of excited eyes looking at me I pulled a ninety minute lecture out of my butt. It was really fun but a total mess because the kids ranged from 5 to 14 years old and spoke little English. I don't know I I want to do that again within that sort of learning enviornment but we shall see.

tomorrow we will go to a retirement home to spend time with Bogota elderly and then we will serve food at a homeless shelter. I am happy to be here but it's been a test. I miss family and friends but I need to be here.

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the amazing work Danny! & keep up the post for the rest of us grounded in the states for the time being! Miss you!

    xoxo,
    ~Holly

    ReplyDelete