Friday, September 14, 2012

Ecuador Booked

It is Friday and a large group of volunteers and myself just completed a good day of feeding homeless people. I have been doing this assignment all week and the tasks each morning are now becoming second nature. The fellow servers from the community are very funny and call each other bad words in Spanish. Salazar is a 68 year old Colombian who is fluent in Italian from working on cruise ships and he jokes around with Juan who runs the feeding project about how much of a bad person he is. The atmosphere is laid back and each individual has a fun story to tell.

After volunteering I chilled with my friend Zach from New York and now the rest of the volunteer group is taking it easy at the apartment where we all live. As of two minutes ago I have now made official plans to see Ecuador. On September 24th, a Monday, I will board a flight from Bogota and land in Guayaquil which is Ecuador's second largest city located close to the southern Pacific coast. There will be only about 10ish days in Ecuador because there is a lot of land to cover for the next three months.

Ecuador boasts numerous beautiful sites and landscapes that are all worth seeing but I am planning on dividing my limited time between a few beach towns, primarily MontaƱita. MontaƱita is a very small surf town that sits about 160km outside of Guayaquil, well known for solid swells and a really affordable Spanish school. A major goal while in South America is to become fluent in the native tongue and this particular school feels like a great fit because of the location. For small extra fees students can also have the option of taking salsa or surf classes which could be fun as well. After a week here and a few extra days wandering the coast the next stop will be Peru. I hope everyone who is reading this is having a good day and I miss you. More updates as things happen! Booyashakaw

No comments:

Post a Comment