Monday, September 24, 2012

Farewell and Hello

Currently I am enjoying my last cup of Colombian coffee in a chill location called Diletto's and taking in the scenery before getting a taxi to the El Dorado Airport. Classical music is the cafe's soundtrack and it feels bittersweet to be on the road once again. Excitement comes knowing that an entirely new culture, history, and series of experiences are about to greet me on arrival in Ecuador. Bitterness comes from leaving newly gained friendships and walking away from a really good life in Bogotá. Thirty minutes ago all of the other great people at Emerging Voices and myself said our goodbyes then parted ways as they left for today's projects. These were some of the nicest people I have ever met and it is a gift to have crossed their path.

I know little about Ecuador and the mystery of a new place sounds like a good way to start the week. Today I'll fly to Medellin, have a second layover in Quito, then have a final stop at Quayquil which is where my hostel for the next two nights is located. After Wednesday the itinerary is a completely blank canvas: There are tentative plans for visiting Puerto Lopez then enrollment in a Spanish School in Montañita. As of now I'm looking into Couchsurfing contacts and waiting to hear back from two schools. Either way I'm headed to the beach and am planning on learning Spanish while enjoying hopefully some surfing or just being a complete bum. The trip has been really structured so far and it will feel good to take it day by day. There are also some help exchange opportunities near the Peruvian border which might be a good fit.

What waits ahead is relatively unknown and this is exactly what I want. Farewell Colombia with your vibrant people, insane drivers, foot stomping music, and mind erasing Aguardiente. Hello Ecuador it is a pleasure to meet you :) shall we dance?

No comments:

Post a Comment