Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Journey Continues

Today is Sunday and currently I am relaxing at a cafe called Kushka...Fe located alongside one of the corners of Cusco that is most frequented by travelers. Despite being a little pricy this Lima, owned eatery boasts one of the best atmospheres in the city. It has been quite some time since updating this travel blog and once again I am very sorry, the past few weeks have been consumed with hostel work and living like a semi Peruvian citizen. After working full-time as a quasi receptionist in a Spanish speaking hostel and getting to know one of the most beautiful cities in South America, a chapter in the trip is about to be completed. Within twenty-four hours the stable environment of living in one location for an extended period of time will become a memory and the backpack that has been placed in storage will regain familiarity like a once forgotten friend.

Tomorrow morning I will hop on a bus to Puno which is a laid-back town located on the Peruvian side of Lake Titicaca. After spending a day or so around the world's tallest lake, the trail will be sporadic and accommodation will be based on which people on Couch Surfing have available space. The tentative goal is to cross into Chile after a night in border city of Tacna, spend some time in the dessert of Atacama at Valle Del Luna then either dip south towards Santiago or come back up to Peru. During the end of January I made arrangements I visit some close friends in Chiclayo which is a beach city located in the very far north of Peru. To put it shortly there are is a two or three week gap of time between now and Chiclayo which gives me some flexibly to see some new places but not enough time to wander too far away. As soon as more wrinkles become ironed out this blog will be the first to know!

Today is an emotional day in the former Inka city because it is difficult saying goodbye to familiarity, to some very amazing people, and to embrace the unknown. Describing the past few weeks in Cusco is a very hard task because the experience here has been arguably the greatest in my life. The countless travelers and fascinating locals that I have crossed paths with during my tenure as a staff member at Pirwa Colonial Backpackers is one of the best gifts that life in the colonial city has brought. Hundreds of people from all walks of life, each with there own interesting story and characteristics, has shed light on how beautiful this world is and how lucky I have been to be on this journey. Leaving the city will be very bittersweet because in my heart it is undoubtably time to ramble, to get lost, to struggle, and to experience new things. On the contrary there are countless memories soaked into this place's foundation, from the rainy dim lit side streets to the creaky wooden dance floors that are easier to find than a proper store to buy face wash.

Every individual memory of Cusco brings a tear to my eye and lights a fire inside my soul. I unfortunately can't even begin to describe what has happened the last few weeks because writing them down doesn't give justice to how thankful I am to have experienced this city. More information about future plans will be posted soon but until then thank you to everyone who has been in Cusco since the day I arrived. We might have been here together for weeks, simply made eye contact on a bustling street corner, or we might have only shared a two minute conversation. What ever the situation you will forever be remembered and hold a very special place in my heart. Except Nick and Carlton, you guys are just a couple of jerks :) just kidding but seriously I want my dollar back.

No comments:

Post a Comment