Friday, November 7, 2014

Bus Station Roulette

Today is Friday and I hope that who ever is reading this post is enjoying the start to their weekend :) Sitting in the backseat of a fairly full ALSA bus the sun has just dipped beneath the western horizon and formations of white circular lights from various passing buildings are the only signs civilization in what is now a completely black view from the window.

It's been a little while since updating this blog and as of yesterday I have completed five weeks of working as an Auxiliar de Cinversacion in the Murcian town of El Esparragal. Between dressing up for Halloween last Friday as a priest, playing games with the kids, and even guiding a handful of daily lesson plans, the experience has been very energy consuming yet also rewarding. After a few weeks of classes mixed with a number of language exchanges within the center of the city I am starting to feel ready to teach private English lessons as a form of extra income. If whoever reads this knows anyone interested have them whatsapp me haha.

While outside of the classroom a group of Auxiliares and myself have been meeting for Tapas and scavenging the city for the cheapest menu del dia. A current personal favorite is an Ecuadorian ran restaurant in the neighborhood of El Carmen which offers a very non Spanish menu but it's prices are the best I've seen in city. A Couchsurfing friend has introduced me to parts of the salsa dancing community and a new personal goal has been relearning the practice a few nights a week at a bar called Bora Bora. Last weekend a good friend and I went to Alicante for the day to soak up some remaining warm weather before the transition into Fall officially begins. Another day trip on Sunday to El CaƱon de Almadenes made it a fourth consecutive weekend for getting out of Murcia. 

As I sit here within the speeding ALSA bus the fifth consecutive weekend for making a getaway towards a different region of Spain is about to begin. 

This morning I woke up with a strong urge to just show up at the bus station in Murcia, see when the next bus was leaving to any particular destination, buy a one way ticket and simply see what happens. It could be from a random desire to get lost or possibly a sensation to mix up the increasingly routine structure to each week. Whatever the reason I simply just needed a break.

After running two important errands at the bank I packed a small bag with one T-shirt, one pair of socks, underwear, toiletries, phone charger, guidebook, jacket, and ultimately my passport then walked across town to the station. At about 1:45pm I stood in a filed line at a mechanical ticket kiosk still not knowing where I wanted to go. Within moments it was now my turn and I had to make a quick decision because people were collectively gathering behind me in patience for their chance to buy a ticket to their predetermined destination. 

Standing at the machine I was lost in the scrolling sea of countless Spanish town and city names. A few immediately came to mind but there wasn't a bus leaving anytime soon. After a scrambling I finally typed a V then an A then maybe out of instinct an L and "Valencia" came up on the white screen.

Thinking for a moment I tapped a few buttons and suddenly a thin sheet of paper spat out at the palm of my lowered right hand from a small chamber of the kiosk.

The next bus bound for Spain's third largest city was leaving within an hour and now one of its future passengers was going to be me. 

I don't know how long I'll be in Valencia. Maybe 24 hours, maybe a couple days since school starts back up on Monday, or possibly just a handful of minutes. I have no idea. Not even knowing where I will sleep makes this seem like an unwise idea. However sometimes the best plan is having absolutely no plan whatsoever.

I've just played a game of  adventure roulette, let's see what happens :)

In my heart the results of this game hardly matter because inside I know I've already gained what I was hoping for. I wanted to feel the breaze of some place I've never been before, to see sights of previously unknown destinations, to be free.

My shoes are tied, a backpack is safely gaurded between my resting feet and I have an open mind so let's get lost :)

Updates coming soon!

2 comments:

  1. I thought I was adventurous when I was your age - take a bus ride 150 miles to Valencia - spend the weekend - you are the original GO-SEE-DO guy! TW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Terry! Your kind words are much appreciated, I hope all is well with you guys ;)

    ReplyDelete