Sunday, November 11, 2012

Peruvian Ramblings

Today is Sunday and as of 10 hours ago I am now in Mancora, Peru at a hostel called Loki. This hostel is one of many that are scattered around Peru and Bolivia that are well renowned for their vibrant social atmosphere. This particular location has a heavy gringo feel but is filled with people from all around the world. Mancora is a popular vacation destination for both Peruvians and backpackers because it boasts white sand beaches and a party environment that stands alone. The locals have been friendly despite all being pushers of more than just taxi rides.

The trip down was long but well worth it. I had spent the night at a place called Hostel Romero in a mountain village called Zaruma. This is a quiet traditional colonial style town that is a UNESCO World Heritage site that houses some very warm people and fantastic views. Originally I was going to stay with a middle aged woman here for the weekend who offered me a couch to sleep on but this fell through and I left last minute for Peru. At 10pm I arrived via motorcycle taxi after four separate buses took me to and through the Peruvian border. A nice couple I met on the bus to the border town of Hauquilla walked me through the Peruvian border where there is a massive daily flee market but then was stopped twenty minutes into the crossing by police because it was illegal to enter without proper passport stamps. After backtracking and being driven ten minutes away from the border by an unmarked taxi things finally got in order and Peru was properly entered. Without the help of this nice couple I would still be wandering through side streets of habitual store fronts and awkward stares.

Before Zaruma I spent two days in Loja with my friend Sean from New Hampshire staying with a local and her family. We visited the valley of youth called Vilcobamba and spent time getting to know a city untouched by tourism. After Loja Sean and myself parted ways and I spent one night in PiƱas to help the town celebrate it's founding while he darted for Peru. I might have stayed longer but the cheap Residencia Boliver where I stayed was rumored to have ghosts and for some reason always smelled like Iodine. Sean and I are once again in the same place and today's plan will be beach and maybe a little more beach if there is some free time from the beach. Mancora will be a home base for the next 2-7 days and more updates are on the way! I hope everyone who reads this is doing well and have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment