Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Counting Days like Turtles

It's only eight o'clock in the morning and already the piercing white orb of Murcian sunrise is sending a slight sting along the side of my face.

I find myself sitting in a cruising ALSA bus as it escapes the cities' urban horizon and destined towards the airport in nearby Alicante. As of a few days ago my Student Visa for Spain expired and now I am officially a Tourist looking out the window of this progressing form of transport. Teaching contract officially completed I am celebrating by leaving the country for a short while. 


Today marks the beginning of what will be a six to seven day trip in Northern Europe in order to visit friends in Denmark and Sweden. Within the span of about six hours I will be seeing Lonnie and Mia, two girls who live in Aarhus, Denmark. We haven't seen one another since the spring of 2013 so this reunion is coming with much anticipation. After seeing them I plan on hopping a second plane to Stockholm Sweden in order to see Malin, a close friend who I haven't seen in five years. After Stockholm there will be a return to Denmark wiith at least two days spent in Copenhagen doing some wandering with Cecillia, a girl who I haven't also seen in five years.

The timing of this trip couldn't be better. With only two weeks left before flying home to the United States it is essential to see these really great people before the time zones between us grow larger. It's also nice to get out of Murcia because currently the vast majority of American English teachers (Auxiliares de Conversacion) have already left the city. Saying farewell to close friends such as Susana, Tom, Alvin, and Cynthia, mixed with giving final presentations at both primary schools where I was contracted makes the reality of change feel like the vacant seat to my left is occupied with an overly emotional invisible passenger.

Seeing the massive exodus of friends from Murcia brings back flashes of the pivotal first days after moving to Spain. I didn't know where I was going, what the next day was good to look like, or even how to ask for directions. This time around I know how to ask for directions but still have no idea where I'm going. In two weeks the world is going to change yet again and it's something that leaves me excited yet increasingly vague like the changing of wind patterns.

A few days ago Lucia, Lola, and myself went to Puerto de Lumbreras near Lorca to work alongside a volunteer project that was gathering to count Tortugas Moras (a kind of land based turtle). Despite finding very few turtles we had a fun time, met some really nice people, and got free paella. This might have been the last trip the three of us will do together for a while because it's hard to say if Lucia will be in Madrid or Murcia when I get back from Denmark. 

This bus is punctual and I can see signs indicating that Alicante is fairly close. Despite the echoes of goodbyes still vibrating within my consciousness the desire to say "hello" again is rapidly elevating in priority. I feel absolutely blessed to have the opportunity to see Lonnie, Mia, Malin, and Cecillia again after such a long gap of living. The last time we all saw one another could have been the final moments of our friendship but we kept in touch and now here we are :) This trip is inspiration to keep in contact with the amazing people who I met in Murcia because if we want to see one another agiain, it surely will happen. 

The number of turtles we found near Lorca matches how much time is left before starting a new chapter in life, not a lot. The only thing I can do is be present in the moment and more importantly be thankful. 

Peace, love, and hold the biscuits. I'll eat them later. 

Daniel Anetac (Catena)

No comments:

Post a Comment