Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Going Gone

BToday is Tuesday and at this very moment I am sitting in the back seat of a coasting ALSA bus as it paces towards the city of Alicante. This marks the first offical day of a two week winter vacation for the vast majority of schools in Spain. Until sometime last week my plans for the holidays were loosely patched together and filled with blank spots that stood out like holes along an old road. Most english teachers have elected to leave Murcia for at least a portion of the holiday and starting with this short bus ride I will be following a similar trend.

After getting in touch with some close friends I finalized a series of accomdation situations and booked a one way plane that is due to leave from Alicante in less than four hours. It's destination will be Manchester, United Kingdom and the purpose of this trip will be to reconnect with two really great guys who I last saw two years ago in South America. Nick and John both go to school in Manchester and it will be truly great to see those guys.

From Manchester Nick and I will celebrate Christmas (if I'm still invited) with his family in Liverpool then a few days later drive with his mom to Blegium. From Belgium I plan on taking either a BlaBla car or any form of public transit to make my way to Cologne, Germany to see two other good friends who were also last seen two years ago in Ecuador. Thilak and Alex have offered to show me around their city and since its been so long it felt like a good idea to take advantage of the vacation to see them too. 

Lastly from Cologne I will find some form of transport to take me to Paris to celebrate New Years with geat person named Gabriela and her friends. She and I haven't seen one another since meeting for the first time last year with the help of Couchsurfing. A few other people, Fanny and Alice, live in the city as well and we haven't seen each other in almost six years.

From Paris the final plan is still unclear but either way I will need to make way towards Murcia because the vacation will be drawing to a close.

Writing the final words to this post I feel nothing but excitement to see these people and feel even more blessed to have them as friends. Over the years it could have been very simple to lose contact but by equal efforts from each person's part these reunions are about to take place. The maintaining of friendships like these are some of the greatest gifts anyone can ask for and it's becoming difficult to maintain composure simply thinking about seeing these people again. 

As this bus nears its destination I can physically see that an airport is coming into sight. The wide and tall glass terminal of the large Alicante airport can be literally seen from outside the back window of where I'm seated. Witnessing all of these concrete events unfolding doesn't change how the internal semi disbelief and excitement are starting to drive my consciousness. Mentally, despite what is really happening, I have no idea where this bus is going. 

All know is I'm gone. 

I hope that whoever reads this has a very wonderful holiday season and a great start to 2015. Wherever or whoever you are I truly wish the best for you and hope that you can celebrate this time of year with those who are most important.  Have a great day and enjoy each moment, you are beautiful :)

Cheers.




2 comments:

  1. Best wishes for a safe and fun filled trip - you remind me of "the most interesting man" commercials shown in the states. I can't imagine all the stamps and great memories you must have when you look at your passport. Mis mejores deseos para unas maravillosas vacaciones y un feliz año nuevo! T&MAW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muchas gracias Terry! Thank you and I hope you are having a Great holidays 😀

    ReplyDelete