Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Return Home

Today is Wednesday and currently I am at a pizzeria called "Amadeus" located within the heart of central Santiago, Chile. Due to the reversal of hemispheres Chile is enjoying the heat of a sun engulfed summer and today was no different. The echoes of Chilean families chatting and laughing fill the atmosphere of this open-aired eatery as I sip on a very refreshing beer. Out of complete coincidence the pizza I just ate was the best I have had since leaving the United States but it still is nothing like home. Maybe this is some sort of sign because today marks the final day of traveling "South" and as of tomorrow morning-ish (or maybe afternoon-ish) the remainder of this journey will never go this direction again.

Tomorrow I will visit La Serena which is a Chilean Pisco hub and about seven hours "North" of Santiago. The word "North" sounds unfamiliar and after nearly six months of traveling "South" it feels like a forgotten book that was tucked away under a relative's dusty dresser. For a great deal of time the concept of heading closer to home felt like an unwanted dentist appointment but right now it feels really nice to know that within a matter of weeks a reunion among family and friends is surely going to take place.

Leaving the city of Santiago will possibly be the most bittersweet experience I've had in recent memory because it is the first destination in this journey that for certain won't be revisited in a great deal of time, perhaps for the rest of my life. Before today I knew I would be coming back to every place at least once because it would be required to do so in order to leave from Colombia back to the USA. The thought of possibly never coming back to Santiago makes me feel a little heartbroken inside. It's a reminder that life is short, something that should be cherished, and also a reason to live it as the best human being you can strive to become.

Knowing that "home" is now getting closer it's hard not to reflect on how events have unfolded and if things should have been planned differently. It's highly probable that amazing experiences were unknowingly omitted and potential friendships never had a chance to blossom but this is why life is funny and within it people need to make choices. Sitting in this pizzeria I know that there have been no regrets and for that I can skip on the bill (just kidding) a happy man. Every single second that has been lived since six months ago and each person who I have had the honor of being contact with will forever leave me smiling and truly thankful. The desire to travel, get lost, then find my way back is something that I've come to accept as a part of who I am. In my heart South America will be re-explored so anything that was missed this time around is just another reason to come back :)

Originally I was going to head "East" to Mendoza in Argentina but minutes before purchasing a bus ticket at the Santiago terminal the travel clerk informed me that as of the end of this past year all American travelers heading to Argentina are required to pay a $160 reciprocity fee. Considering that time is severely limited and funding has dwindled over the course of wandering I decided to pass on entering the country and save it for the next adventure. A slightly bitter aura was in the air after exiting the bus station but that is life sometimes.

The past three days have been spent exploring Santiago with a friend named Caro who is from the city and it was a truly great experience. She is very close with a mutual friend from Lima named Melody and we hiked around various parts of the massive city. Today we tried Pastel De Choclo and yesterday we took a free walking tour with a group of very cool Australians. Afterwards we drank "Terrimotos" within a bodega called "Pajarito" which was the very place where the ice-cream and wine combined beverage was invented. I was very fortunate to have met her and to have seen Santiago through the guidance of a local. Hopefully the favor can be payed forward to future travelers when I return to the Bay Area in 6 weeks (April 1st).

More updates will be on the way but until then I hope everyone who reads this is having a nice day. Thank you for being my friend and sorry for the emotional post but take good care!

No comments:

Post a Comment